Monday, May 8, 2017

[Nuclear Chemistry]- Radiation and Sun Tanning

Radiation and Sun Tanning
When fusion occurs in the core of the sun, it produces high energy gamma rays. These photons are converted to lower energy photons before reaching the surface of the sun. When emitted from the sun, their frequencies fall within the visible light and UV range of the electromagnetic spectrum. Ultraviolet light can have wavelengths ranging from 10-400 nanometers, and frequencies ranging from 8 x 1014 to 3 x 1016 cycles per second.


The 3 types of UV rays include:
  • UVA Rays
    • Has the longest wavelength: 315-400 nanometers
    • Accounts for 95% of UV light that affects the skin
    • Can age skin cells and damage DNA.
  • UVB Rays
    • Wavelength ranging from 280-315 nanometers
  • UVC Rays
    • Has the shortest wavelength: 100-280 nanometers
    • Usually does not reach the skin surface
    • Has most energy out of each type of UV light
UV ray exposure can have major impacts on health, causing sun damage, skin peeling, skin aging, and cancer. UV rays mostly damage cells in the epidermis, which makes up the top layer of skin. The radiation has the ability to cause skin cancer by making the skin grow abnormally due to damaged DNA in skin cells, or by altering the body’s natural defense against cancer cells and affecting the immune system. Extended exposure to strong UV rays can result in the breakdown of the collagen and elastin fibers in healthy skin, resulting in aged, wrinkled, and leathery skin.
Due to the relatively high energy of ultraviolet photons, strong UV rays can have the ability to break chemical bonds in a process called ionization. Ionizing radiation causes electrons to break away from atoms, resulting in the alteration of chemical bonds. This can be very damaging to skin tissue.




Many people frequently use tanning beds without knowing the great health risks of unprotected exposure to strong UV rays. Salons may claim to use safe UV rays, but they often exceed the limits that should be followed. The equipment usually emits UVA and UVB rays that have the ability to damage DNA, and adversely affect the immune system. As well as this, the use of tanning beds and tanning in general can easily become addictive. UV rays are known to cause the increased release of endorphins within the body, which generate pleasure and stress-relief.




Although it has many harmful effects, the sun can also positively effect human health. Sunlight exposure often results in the increased production of vitamin D within the body (produced mainly by the kidneys). Vitamin D promotes the development of strong bones, helps regulate adrenaline, boost the immune system, and can regulate dopamine production.



Works Cited:

3 comments:

  1. While reading this, I was surprised to see the effects of tanning beds. I knew they were not necessarily healthy for you, but I did not know the extent to which they were harmful. The fact that the UVA and UVB rays can damage all the way down to the DNA is pretty serious. Do you think the reason people still use tanning beds is that they simply do not know the extent of the harm the UVA and UVB rays can cause or that they know the dangers but would rather risk their health to get tan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite activities in the summer is to sun bathe so this worries me a bit that I can develop skin cancer. I have always heard that I need to use sunscreen and that it is not good to sit out and tan all the time, but I never knew the true chemistry behind it. I believe that now that I know the harmful effects of tanning, I will be more cautious in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always playing outdoors sports and while I knew I need sun screen, I didn't realize how bad or damaging the sun can be. I thought freckles was my only worry but it now makes sense that when I see people with leathery skin that is not healthy but actually skin damage. Now, I will not fight my mom when she tells me to put on sunscreen. I didn't realize that the sun was a good source of vitamin D - only in moderate doses.

    ReplyDelete